Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Space To Sew

This weekend I FINALLY finished a project that I have been wanting to finish for the longest time...my sewing table! I purchased a crappy little white table from TradeMe too long ago to remember when! Inspired by my new ironing board cover (a thank you from my little sister for the kitchen tea) and her beautiful and neat little cottage, I finally removed the clutter (aka junk) from the tabletop and took action. I painted the legs and underside in Hippie Green (a Resense colour) and then covered the badly damaged formica top in the cheeries print oilcloth purchased from Kate Fitzpatrick shortly after I got the table. You could safely guess that I am not one to rush into ANYTHING. (Except marriage? Engaged 4 months after we met and married in 14 months! I knew he was the one!)

Lessons learnt (but not about marriage!)?
  1. A 3-year-old is not a suitable painting apprentice. Three is a time of independence and boundless creativity - not following specific and stupid instructions about how much paint should go on a brush, or where to place said paint, or how much of oneself should be painted. In hindsight, I should have given CeeJae his own painting project. But we got there.
  2. Oilcloth is ostensibly just shiny fabric - and as such it stretches.
  3. Ostensibly is a fantastic word.
  4. Anything with rounded corners will be a complete bastard to cover.
  5. Using upholstery tacks to afix the aforementioned oilcloth will render the drawer utterly useless. Jamming the drawer forcibly into the drawer space will also render the drawer utterly useless. Still, pretty drawer.
And Mel's nappy bag has finally made it to Mel, thanks to the long-awaited return of my fortnightly quilting class. Mel is really pleased with the fabric and colour choices (pretty green wool felt for the exterior, and a Debbie Mumm Noah's ark print for the interior, alongside a few native NZ prints for the pocket). Love the "Baby" too - very cute, and in polka dots of course!!

WIP's this week include two new bags, a bag for Marsy, a quilt top (maybe? I think I'm ready to make a quilt!), and my baby sister's wedding on Friday...too exciting!

3 Comments:

At 6:15 pm , Blogger Megan said...

I think the table looks great, and you sure have a load of WIP's to go. Hope the wedding goes really well on the weekend too.

I haven't forgotten about your 200th post prize, it is sitting on my desk waiting to be posted out. It will get there this week, promise!

 
At 10:26 am , Blogger Em said...

You must take pics of yourself wearing your gorgeous Trelise Cooper outfit (and to die for shoes too). Have a fab time at the wedding, praying for fine weather for you (although isn't it good luck to have rain on your big day?).
Nappy bag looks great. The table does too. You have enough works in progress to fill the top of the table Im sure!
We did the swift engagement thing too - engaged after 5 months, married 12 months after that. You just know I guess.

 
At 11:58 am , Blogger kirsten said...

Yay! I found you!!! You left a nice comment for me and then I couldn't find you through your link!! Just call me SuperSleuth. Now I've bloglined you. Great blog - makes me feel less homesick!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home